Dedicated to the relentless pursuit of fish on the fly. Welcome to the obsession, I hope you enjoy the pics and ramblings. If you like what you see (or really don't), feel free to drop me an email at fishindog.net@gmail.com. And when you're done, get your waders on and get out there, cause the only way to catch 'em is with your bug in the water.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Why don't you come down here and chum some of this shi...


Enough of this trout nonsense. I wasn't leaving the creek yesterday until I caught a salmon. So I did, then I left. Being Sunday and rather nice out, every goon with a rod was out flogging the water into submission. Not surprisingly, nobody that I saw was catching much of anything in the way of trout. It seems that when they get pounded over the head all day they stop eating. Imagine that. It was time to up the ante. Launching my own shock and awe campaign, I swung giant streamers at the chums that have moved up until I connected. For the unfamiliar, nobody fishes for chums. There's a number of reasons for this: they're not lively fighters, they don't strike often, and they're no good eating. Hence the name chum. As far as I'm concerned, they're 20 times bigger than any of the trout in there, they're actually challenging, and they're gorgeous. Maybe it's the carp chaser in me, but it just had to happen, even the losers need some lovin from time to time. After working this fish for a good twenty minutes, he finally got agitated enough and slammed his jaws shut on my fly. He then proceeded to take off downstream and made me chase him a good hundred yards or more, right through the hole that a couple of dudes were letting tiny trout embarass them in. One of them got quite a kick out of the fact that I'd actually gotten a chum to eat, let alone land the thing. The other dude seemed a bit miffed that I wrecked his hole. What he didn't seem to realize was that he had no chance to begin with, being the 4th person that I'd seen pound that spot in the last hour. He didn't look like he had a clue what he was doing anyway, when I interrupted him he shot me a nasty glare and simply turned around and started casting his dry fly straight downstream. Awesome. Sorry pal, I'm not breaking my rod for you and there was no way I was going to break off that fish for your sake. Combat fishing rule number one: there are no rules. My only problem at this point: one handed camera work with a seriously pissed off fish in the other.

5 comments:

  1. that is freaking awesome, both the pictures and teh words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work my man, impressive fish. Keep sending out the news, I check in to see the next catch often. My brother pulled a 35 in mac out of Pole Creek Lake a few weeks ago, big mountain fish if you ask me. Keep it up Chris I hope your enjoying Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks boys, Colter I need your number, I toasted my phone again, so if you read this gimme a shout. And yes, AK is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 307-231-2489 hope we can wet a fly soon

    ReplyDelete

 
Quit reading this now and go fishing